- 5 hours of prep per week does not equal grading 6 hours worth of homework, time to plan, time to copy and time to breathe.
- We use summers to attend workshops, read books on education, and work on their curriculum. It’s never really over for us!
- We like to experience what these magical things called hobbies. Sometimes I forget that people read for fun, sit outside, garden, cook, travel!
- Summers usually include beautiful weather and it would be just plain cruel to put us in a classroom full of kids that are aching to be outside. Just lock us in the classrooms when they wouldn’t survive the weather outside. Then they have no choice!
- It takes about three months to forget the feeling of being pulled in to 20 different directions- 5 to answer questions about the work, 5 to get kids back on track, 3 to take away cell phones, 2 to stop conflicts from happening, and 5 more that are just us spinning in circles.
- It’s good to give parents a taste of what we experience for 9 months out of the year. It usually instills a little bit of gratitude and appreciation.
- We need to time to recharge, rest, meditate, and get ready to do a job that we love with all our hearts.
It might sound like I don’t like my job, but in reality I LOVE it! Sometimes I have thoughts like these running through my mind and I wonder why even do what I do, but everyday in one way or another I’m reminded of what makes it all worth it- the kids!